Re: Preupgrade testing results.

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
Round one.

Hardware.

Dell inspiron 6000 ( i686 )
( http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_b9b84fa4-4248-4c6d-8a4e-904f04246a13 )

Testing setup.

Note this is as basic as it gets. standard installation
standard package selection no extra repo no special partition layout...

Fresh Fedora 7 Default installation
(  next next next done etc.. ).
SElinux on.
Language used during install process English
Keyboard Layout Icelandic
Install ( not upgrade )
IPv6 support disabled.
Timezone Atlantic/Reykjavik UTC
Default partition layout, whole disk used.
Kernel parameters needed during F7 installation = None

System was then updated to latest updates available for F7.

Additional packages installed
NetworkManager-*  and rpm*.

Preupgrade fc8 src package was then fetch from koji
and rebuild ed on the F7 host.
( Just for my own curiosity  )

I then installed the preupgrade package I had build
and ran preupgrade,  which ran flawlessly :)
and then asked me to reboot.

After reboot I had to add the kernel parameter acpi=off <--- !!!
to proceed with upgrade.
( I cant recall if I had to do it with F8 dvd install but will soon find out : > )

I then did update the system and ran preupgrade again (to F9 Beta )
which I had to use the acpi=off kernel parameter again.
But upgrade failed and revealed two bugs..

#Bug 1

Tested this against rawhide with same resaults and
yes cleared all cache ..
yum clean all rpm --rebuilddb rm -rf /boot/upgrade
and rm -rf /var/cache/yum/anaconda-upgrade

The path entry in grub is still incorrect nor can it mount
the image it fetches..
Took me quite some time to figure this one out because
the process seemed to work but for some reason it only
wanted to upgrade e2fsprogs - 1.40.2-10.f8.i386 ?
Any way I start looking at the /etc/yum.repo/ and noticed
that the development repo had not changed to rawhide during
the upgrade process fixed that and then I look at /boot/grub.conf
and BOOM there it was staring me  in the face as it
had been doing the whole time ( I always needed to add acpi=off KP)

Incorrect path given to fetch the image..

Path given..
method=http://ftp.rhnet.is/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os

Path I should have had...

method=http://ftp.rhnet.is/pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/9-Beta/Fedora/i386/os/

# Bug 2

Then I just change the path to the correct one and then another bug revealed it self.
It started to complain about not being able to fetch the image...
so I tried different mirrors but to no prevail..

The error msg I should have received was unable to mount image..

<4>ISOFS: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
<4>VFS Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev loop0.
<3>SQUASHFS error: MajorMinor mismatch, trying to mount newer 3.1 filesystem
<3>SQUASHFS error: Please update your kernel
<3>cramfs: wrong magic <-- lol black magic :)
<3>FAT: bogus number of reserverd sectors
<6>VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev loop0.

Another bugs..

# Bug 3

It does not clean up after itself.
( Delete /boot/upgrade and remove the entry in grub.conf )

# Bug 4

Outdated Art should default to waves instead of infinity and copyright should say 2003 - 2008
instead of 2003 - 2007 in anaconda.

It also defaults to installation instead of an upgrade.
AFAIK we don't keep backup of users data
so you might wanna default this to an upgrade instead :)
( preupgrade right.. )

# Bug 5
Does not check if it has network connection before starting
( the preupgrade command ) and fail with msg saying something like
cannot continue no network connection present..
Total number of F7 packages upgraded by preupgrade 742
Total number of F7 packages that were not upgraded by preupgrade 131 <-- !! Total number of F7 packages that were not updated after updating F8 46 <-- !!!

Upgrade error in upgrade.log after F8 upgrade.

error: %postun(avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

F8 update errors...

libsepol.sepol_genbools_array: boolean cron_can_relabel no longer in policy
error: %postun(avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

Packages not upgraded nor updated after upgrade.....

xorg-x11-drv-dynapro-1.1.0-3.fc7
libevent-1.3b-1.fc7
words-3.0-12.fc7
wavpack-4.41-1.fc7
bitmap-fonts-0.3-5.1.2.fc7
gawk-3.1.5-15.fc7
grep-2.5.1-57.fc7
aspell-0.60.5-3.fc7
zip-2.31-3.fc7
festival-speechtools-libs-1.2.96-1.fc7
xorg-x11-drv-penmount-1.1.0-3.fc7
festvox-slt-arctic-hts-0.20061229-1.fc7
sinjdoc-0.5-4.fc7
quota-3.14-1.fc7
festvox-kal-diphone-0.19990610-1.fc7
dbus-python-0.82.3-1.fc7
dosfstools-2.11-8.fc7
libiptcdata-1.0.2-1.fc7
xorg-x11-drv-citron-2.2.0-2.fc7
man-1.6e-3.fc7
mailx-8.1.1-46.fc7
device-mapper-multipath-0.4.7-11.fc7
preupgrade-0.9-2.fc7
ttmkfdir-3.0.9-24.fc7
htmlview-4.0.0-3.fc7
bittorrent-gui-4.4.0-5.fc7
gnome-mime-data-2.18.0-2.fc7
gnome-netstatus-2.12.1-1.fc7
fakeroot-1.6.4-15.fc7
festival-1.96-1.fc7
gdbm-1.8.0-27.fc7
libsysfs-2.1.0-1.fc7
libiec61883-1.1.0-1.fc7
mktemp-1.5-25.fc7
libopenraw-0.0.2-5.fc7
avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7
ethtool-5-1.fc7
fbset-2.1-24.fc7
libopenraw-gnome-0.0.2-5.fc7
festival-lib-1.96-1.fc7
openvpn-2.1-0.19.rc4.fc7
xorg-x11-drv-microtouch-1.1.0-2.fc7
bittorrent-4.4.0-5.fc7
kpartx-0.4.7-11.fc7
rp-pppoe-3.8-1.fc7
xorg-x11-drv-dmc-1.1.0-3.fc7

begin:vcard
fn:Johann B.  Gudmundsson
n:Gudmundsson;Johann B.
org:Reiknistofnun - University of Iceland;IT Management
adr:Dunhagi 5;;Taeknigardur;Reykavik;;107;Iceland
email;internet:johannbg@xxxxx
title:Unix System Engineer RHCE,CCSA
tel;work:+3545254267
tel;fax:+3545528801