Re: should gphoto launch automatically?

David Timms wrote:
Joe Smith wrote:
It did for me with F8, but not now for F9beta.
Is that an up2date beta + or straight beta ?

F9beta with all updates.

I can run gthumb and File > Import Photos. The camera is detected correctly and I can download photos, it just doesn't launch gphoto when I plug in the camera.

I have (almost) no idea how that process actually works--hal? dbus?--so I don't know where to start investigating whether there's a problem.

There's nothing weird looking in /var/log/messages
Is there nothing at all as you plug it in ?

There are the normal-looking usb messages. The cam only? supports PTP-mode, so there are no block devices added and nothing in /media.

The camera appears as a device in the lsusb output.

As I said, gphoto finds the camera automatically and it works fine if I start the import manually.

lshal -m
is useful for working out what hal knows about the device. Unfortunately that is as far as I have got with this stuff.

If you still have an f8 machine, how recently did this last just work ?
Could you show the differences between f8 and f9beta for lshal -m and /log/messages ?

Unfortunately, my F8 hardware died, which is why I'm trying to help with F9 ;-)

The automatic launch was working fine with F8 as late as last December.

I have some kind of message showing on my console (but not in the messages) when I shut the system down. It says something about "can't find the message bus, have you started the dbus daemon" or something like that--it's only visible for a few seconds and I haven't paid much attention to it until now.

Maybe I can snap a picture of the message.

dbus-daemon appears to be running for my current session.

Plugging in USB storage devices triggers automounting and Nautilus windows pop up.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions; I'll keep poking around.

<Joe