Re: smbpasswd apparently not writing to /etc/samba/ files

Anne Wilson wrote:
Using smbpasswd -a anne does not add the user or write to the password file. What am I missing?

Anne

Newer versions of samba prefer to use a database and no longer the old smbpassword file. It may be being stored in
 /var/lib/samba//private/

While there is some claim to backward compatibility - it did not work when I tried it.