xrandr error on wide screen .. how to correct now?

Experimenting xrandr features in rawhide via new screen resolution page, I was able to resize and rotate the screen.
Then, stupidly, I tried to left rotate a wide screen with the effect that the monitor went stdby..... ;-(
Rebooting and going to gdm and connecting with another user I get normal screen, while using this user, after authentication in gdm, I continue getting stdby monitor.
Anyone knows where this user based setting is stored so that I can eliminate it?
Tried with xrandr with various parameters by a console session but I (probably obviously) get the "can't open display" message .....
Thanks,
Gianluca