Re: Nvidia 173.08 and Rawhide

Mike Chambers wrote:
On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 03:25 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:

If nv or nouveau work for your setup I suggest waiting, there really is no good advantage to nvidia's 2d setup unless you have major performance issues on either of the other options.

What is the difference between nv and nouveau drivers?  Is nouveau like
the radeonhd (newer) driver or something?
I have a mb which has the nforce 430 (I think) with geforce 6100 (again,
I think) series driver.  nv is detected and used, but would nouveau work
better?

nv is the upstream Xorg 2D driver maintained by Nvidia. Nouveau is the ongoing effort to create 3D drivers via reverse engineering.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FrontPage

Rahul