When should network be closed down?

I have a CIFS mount on a rawhide test system that takes about 45 seconds to umount during shutdown or restart. If I ctrl-alt-f7, I see the Unmounting CIFS filesystems msg displayed there and the wait begins. I also see that network manager daemon is first service to be stopped and the dispatcher is the 5th. Unmounting the cifs file is about number 20 or so. I believe the prolonged stop on the cifs umount is due to no network being up. Is this correct? If so, should network mounts be unmounted first or should network manager umount them? Or, is this an upstart issue?

Network service is disabled, network manager and dispatcher are enabled and Let NM manage device check box is selected for eth0. Gnome desktop, no selinux.

I am happy to bz this, but don't know what to bz against?