Grub bootable CD won't work on SATA CD ROM

In the past I have used a CD-RW as a bootable grub with a grub.conf and eltorito stage 2 as a quick rescue if for some reason couldn't boot the system but I know all else was ok. However, after upgrading to a system with the CD ROM on a SATA port, discovered that even tho you could boot the grub CD-RW, all you get is the grub> prompt. Trying the disk in a system with an EIDE CD-ROM drive, the CD-RW still worked fine. So, stuck an USB CD-ROM drive on the SATA system and, voila, works well (after telling bios that the USB CD drive was a boot device vice the SATA CD drive).

So, since the upstream grub folks are focused on grub 2, would the Fedora grub maintainer look kindly on a low priority bz on this? Given the workaround, maybe just waiting for grub 2 is the best approach? Or, even better, is there a quick fix that could be applied?

(I know I could use a rescue CD, but just can't stand having something not work that should "just work.")

Thanks, and kind regards,

Old Fart