Re: Testers Hardware...

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Friday 04 April 2008 09:53:15 Andrew Farris wrote:
- Would developers find it beneficial to seek out people in the testing
pool who have specific hardware configurations if the tool and data were
there to find them?

Quite often a bug is reported on specific hardware, and the developer to whom it is assigned can't reproduce it on his system. I would think that it would save a good deal of time and effort if he could find others with the same hardware as the reporter, and ask them to comment.

How are kernel hackers testing?

AFAIK nobody else has the kernel problem I reported. Testing for me is fairly easy, just give me a kernel - preferable imbedded in an ISO containing an initrd, so I can still test it if I get fed up and run something else.

Hardware-sensitive Kernel problems, at least those hard on, should be fairly easy to test. Other problems, such as with userland software, netmangler and so on might be a little harder, though probably a live CD would be good for many of those.

However, I think a lot of people would be loathe to do anything too intrusive: if I get a new working kernel I won't be in a hurry to lose it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait