Re: F9 Beta (my first) impressions

Ronald wrote:
Jesse Keating wrote:
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:06 -0400, ronald wrote:
- A netinst-jigdo would be a good think for rawhide testers, which can't
boot with the current netinstall.iso's or if iso's temp. not available.
(expense/profit ?, I don't know !)

Can you expand upon this a bit?  The netinst.iso doesn't have very many
files on it, so I'm not sure what the value of jigdo is vs just
downloading it from the http server(s).

sure. and I mentioned it with "expense/profit" eg. download ~100 MB versus building a jigdo.
I don't know how much work is needed to build an jigdo.

man mkisofs
It's fairly simple these days.

as I know and do jigdo takes parts of an "old" source, maybe the old netinst.iso and AFAIK gets the rest from the tree. if I'm right here, then in the case where no netinstall.iso's avaible one is able to fresh up his/her iso's from the current rawhide tree.

A user needs the .jigdo file. a .template file, and access to a repo with all the files. A local ISO file to update is a bonus.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait