Re: wish list

Hi Arne,

Welcome to Fedora.

Arne Chr. Jorgensen said the following on 03/12/2008 10:09 AM Pacific Time:
wish list:

- learn who you are, what speciality or main tasks you have
- If I can mail direct emails to those persons
- learn to file bugs in a proper way
- get my own server up an running, with koji, git, rawhide, etc.
- learn these things, development, debugging, packing, what ever.
- I want to get my hands on white-papers and stuff, so that I can
  look into the mystery of hardware/kernel issues, or get some
  real answers to these questions.
- I may co-work on issues, but prefere to work with this on my
  own server. I do not want to be in anyones face, or be a risk hazard,
  or so on.
- The easiest way I can think of to get things in order, would be if
  someone could assist me in setting this stuff up. I can give you
  login to my hardware, you could have an account. ( just have to
  sort out some speed issues with my ISP )
- in return I may try to be of assistance to you. I may try to
  solve some tasks and issues.

Trouble is,  I will never get there the way things has been, and not be
able to get pass the silly bottle-necks.

One of your other posts was about testing rawhide... why not set some short term goals like getting a stable setup working on Fedora 8 where you can do IRC, update your box and do all the basics? The fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx focuses on these kind of topics.

You might consider just reading the mailing lists for a while and watching what goes on to get the pulse of how things work. You have a lot of good ideas, and who knows maybe some of them will be adopted :) Open source communities are unique groups and they all seem to work in slightly different ways... some of which may not appear to be efficient.

However... when you go to a foreign country or a new place, at least in my experience, things seems to go a lot better if you comply with the local laws and customs and run with the herd for a while. I think you will find that people are willing to help you, but it is usually better to post one or two questions and then WAIT for an answer versus carpet bombing the list with all your problems.

Alternative - I'll team up with Suse or any other ..

Nothing will turn people off quicker or not want to help you than threatening to leave. It sounded like you were asking for their help, not the other way around :)

John

p.s. No, I do not wish to receive private emails.  This list works great :)