Re: Continuing the saga: F9alpha AMD-64 HP DC7700 SFF switch_root: no filesystems

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 01:40:42AM -0400, Will Woods wrote:

So, nearly all of the "cannot find /dev/root" problems we've seen have been mkinitrd-related. So davej is correct: it is very likely to be a mkinitrd bug.

It is not entirely clear from what John writes what happens
with what kernel and when.  If you see in dmesg, like a fragment
which he included recently (not clear from which kernel):
It's perfectly clear to me:-)

ata1.00: ATA-7: ST3320620AS, 3.AAK, max UDMA/133
ata1.00: 625142448 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)
ata1.01: ATA-8: WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0, 12.01C02, max UDMA/133
ata1.01: 976773168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)

and booting fails then most likely initrd is at fault.

That fragment is from the most recent kernel that works, 2.6.24.1-28.fc9

If, OTOH, like in this fragment of dmesg for

That was captured from a failing kernel by use a crossover serial cable, a second computer and minicom.

2.6.25-0.90.rc3.git5.fc9 which John added to bugzilla, you have

ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 221 SControl 300)

then it is hard to even consider initrd as there is no chance
for it to be ever loaded since disks are "invisible".

It *might* actually be something in the sata driver..

_I_ think it is. The initrd _does_ load, it's loaded by grub using BIOS calls.

I eventually got busybox in it and not being erased (another thread) and had a look around. It contains the same sata modules as the kernel that works.

So I figure the mkinird is working and making the same decisions as before, but that something's changed in the driver code.

That second piece points to that although it is possible that
in this case both show up.

Of course when you see a screen picture with the last few lines
which say that / is not there, and all other information scrolled
out a long time ago, then the most natural reaction is
"uh-hu, that initrd is messed up" just because a kernel managed
to get that far so in a sense it already "booted".

I posted the photo because, at that time, I couldn't locate the serial cable. It depicts the same problem, and it does seem to have all the ata stuff there.

   Michal