Re: Is It Worth Installing F9 Alpha?

Michael Schwendt wrote:
F9 Alpha at least installed and seemed to work at first, but still was
very slow at run-time. And with a high number of updates waiting to be
downloaded, testing is useless. I test something only to find out the next
upgrade breaks it already. I test something, and if I find a bug, I'm
asked to update from rawhide. As a tester, I'm either too fast or too late
with finding/reporting problems. Meanwhile I need to fiddle with broken
deps in the single repository which affect ordinary yum installs of
package-chains needed for test-compiling software. Fine if the primary
spin is free of broken deps, but the repository is broken.

yum --skip-broken, occasionally an --exclude=brokenstuff, and there should be no problem staying current unless you've got a slower downstream connection. I realize that would be an extreme barrier to keeping up when some days have huge updates and other days have very few (meaning even a throttled download all day won't really help you stay current).

One of the sporadic runs of "yum update" took more than three hours to
update 700 pkgs. And one of the update pkgs killed X, which means it ends
at a black screen when trying to start gdm or startx. It might be possible
to "fix" it with a fresh xorg.conf. But why even try that? F9 development
is a fast-moving target, known to be incomplete, known to be broken in
several areas, with no signs of a base that justifies efforts of testing
it.

Thats not very accurate.. there is plenty of justification for testing it -- there is just a different kind of testing needed. Things are broken, *very* broken, so how can that not need testing? There is good reason for an Alpha/Beta distinction, and there should be a different expectation, and different type of testing going on between them. Major breakage requires major testing.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net