Re: Upstart and release notes

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 12:17:46PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Bruno Wolff III (bruno@xxxxxxxx) said:
Please include a warning in the release notes that if you have customized
inittab, you might need to do something to have those customizations
still apply after switching to upstart.
Yup, it's a known thing.

It looks like corresponding /etc/inittab lines are now replaced
by scripts in /etc/event.d/. Only replacements are not always
equivalent.  AFAICT an inittab line

x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

shifted to

# prefdm - preferred display manager
#
# Starts gdm/xdm/etc by preference

start on stopped rc5

stop on runlevel [!5]

console output
script
        exec /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
end script

With the former it was possible to do 'pkill -f gdm' to restart
all gdm and X and I used that on uncounted occasions as various
display elements are not the most robust pieces in systems - both
hardware- and software-wise - to put it mildly.

After the change above killing a display manager means just that.
The only reliable way to restart it appears to be
'telinit 3; telinit 5'; only this restarts much more.  Was that a
deliberate change for really good reasons?  I already found it an
annoying PITA although "telinit line" works in a script.

Something wrong with 'pkill -f gdm; gdm-restart'? I haven't tried it, but gdm-stop and gdm-start work just fine (although -stop does not actually kill the running X server, it just stops it from respawning again).

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net