Re: cannot update to latest, how should I proceed to apply updates

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Andrew Farris wrote:

David G. Mackay wrote:
On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 17:57 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
How should I proceed to apply the updates?
Did anybody else also encounter the above problems?
I got the same errors.  I just went ahead and ran rpm -Uvh --force hal*
smbios-utils* libsmbios* against the rpms
in /var/cache/yum/development/packages.  It seems to have survived it so
far.

Dave
Yep, you'll just have two packages that overlap now, with libsmbios-bin no
longer present in the repo (I don't know if thats temporary, or intentional,
but its not there).

so, is the above considered the proper (albeit temporary) solution to
this current package problem?  as, not surprisingly, i'm in the same
situation.

Well, actually that works if you've got the packages downloaded already in cache, but you keep a package on the system that is not in the repo.
Do either 1) or 2).

1) rpm -e --nodeps libsmbios-bin; yum install smbios-utils libsmbios

2) cd /var/cache/yum/dev*t/packages
   rpm -Uvh --force hal* smbios-utils* libsmbios*

In case 2 you'll end up keeping libsmbios-bin.. don't know if that'll hurt you next update. If you go case 1 then (assuming libsmbios-bin does not return to the repo) you'll be fine and consistent with the repo today.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net