Re: Determine Fedora Version

Will Woods wrote:

On Feb 28, 2008, at 6:40 PM, Andrew Farris wrote:

Leon Stringer wrote:
Hi,
Apologies if I'm being a bit dim here. I've got various Fedora systems and have just wasted time trying to install packages on the wrong version (I was tired!). But then I thought, how does a user determine what version of Fedora they're using? If I do System->About Fedora I get explanatory text but nothing about the version. I know advanced users can do uname or query package versions but there should be an easy/obvious way. People writing the About text for Fedora 9, please take note. (Or just change the menu item text to "About Fedora 9").
TTFN,
Leon...

This is a very good point. I suggest you take the idea and file an RFE bug against the component 'fedora-release-notes', this is that package that supplies the 'About Fedora' system menu item (/usr/share/applications/about-fedora.desktop).

A user should not need to cat /etd/redhat-release to find out what version of their desktop OS they have, adding just the release number after About Fedora would be a nice touch.

Around F7, we[1] wrote an "About this computer" app called 'system-summary'. It's available in the repos for F8 and rawhide. It gives:

1) Distro version,
2) kernel version,
3) CPU type and count,
4) RAM size, and
5) Smolt ID.

Here's a screenshot: http://wwoods.fedorapeople.org/screenshots/system-summary-0.3.png

Maybe we should try to get it included in the System menu by default?

-w

[1] Okay, mostly jbowes, but I helped! Kinda!

And here is the about.sh

Todo needs cpu counting and grep the smolt ID and ASCII art and colorts :)

#!/bin/bash

F=`cat /etc/fedora-release`
M=`dmidecode | grep "Manufacturer:" | head -n1 | awk -F ":" '{print $2}'`
T=`dmidecode | grep "Product Name" | head -n1 | awk -F ":" '{print $2}'`
C=`dmidecode | grep "Max Speed" | head -n1 | awk -F ":" '{print $2}'`
ME=`cat /proc/meminfo | head -n1 | awk '/[0-9]/ {print $2}'`
S=`parted -l | grep Disk | awk -F ":" '{print $2}'`
K=`uname -r`

clear
echo "

       You are running $F