Re: F9alpha AMD-64 HP DC7700 SFF switch_root: no filesystems

Andrew Farris wrote:

I suspect you've got the 54 or 64 kernel installed [1], both of which fail for many people with the 'switch_root: no such file' error. Backing it down to the 40 kernel may get you farther into the boot and maybe show whether or not the volume group issue goes away or not. To get it backed down you'll need to download the kernel, boot into a rescue mode, chroot, and install the older kernel.

If this fails you might have to go farther back, getting a 2.6.24 kernel to install, then when booted to that you may be able to install the 2.6.25 rc kernel (2.6.25 kernels had some issues with mkinitrd when done on a 2.6.25 kernel, I'm not sure if that is resolved).

At present I don't have any means of booting a Linux system that can perform any maintenance on the system.

The kernel is a dot-64 job.

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/2.6.25/

--

Cheers