Re: adding memory to my laptop causes subsequent f9a installs to fail

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Fulko Hew wrote:

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  until now, i've test installed f9a several times on a gateway laptop
 with 512M of RAM.  after adding another 1G of DDR 400 RAM, every
 install attempt ends up hanging somewhere -- checking SW dependencies,
 formatting the root filesystem, and the latest 300+ packages into the
 install.

  is there something about extra memory that f9a just doesn't like?
You may want to consider trying an install with only the 1G stick
installed replacing the existing 512M (if possible) instead of
simply adding the additional memory... and seeing what happens
during an install.

as a progress report, i returned the "A-data" brand DDR memory i had
earlier, and got a more expensive "corsair" brand chip -- still 1G
DDR1.  popped that in, tried an install of f9a (x86_64) on my gateway
laptop, but it still hung (although it did at least get into the
package installation phase, which is further than i got with the
earlier memory most of the time.)

so i'm trying the same thing a second time to see if that's
reproducible.  if this continues to fail, i guess i can try the most
expensive "kingston" brand, but i'm starting to think it's not the
quality of the memory -- there has to be something else happening
here.

and i'm open to any debugging advice.

rday
--

I just got my new desktop and when I went to order the RAM for the motherboard I wanted, I found that I had a very limited selection. I ended up with Corsair and it was recommended on the corsair web site.

I would be tempted to check the memory on the corsair WWW site for compatibility and also check for conflicts between the two memory modules.

I would be more tempted to get two 1gig modules or better yet a 2gig module if your motherboard will support it. Make sure it is manufacturer recommended for our system.

Before I searched for manufacturer recommended memory, I thought all memory was the same for all systems that met the specs. I was wrong after I read the forums about problems between motherboards and memory brands.

--
Robin Laing