rebooting from panel menu

For a long time, there was no "Shut Down..." on the GNOME panel menu.

Then it came back, but it didn't do anything when I selected it and clicked "Reboot".

I found errors in my .xsession-errors file indicating that gnome-power-manager wasn't running, so I started it.

After starting it and doing Shut Down... > Reboot again, there was no longer an error in .xsession-errors, but reboot still didn't happen.

Tried "gnome-power-cmd.sh reboot" and got this:

Rebooting
Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy: org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot no <-- (action, result)

I can't find any menu item that I looks like the one I can use to run a program to modify the referenced policy, nor can I find any documentation on the officially correct way to do this.

Not sure how much of the trouble I'm having can be classified as bugs and how much can be classified as user ignorance, but it does seem like a bug that when I actively look for how to solve this problem, I can't find anything pointing me at the solution.

Any advice?

Thanks,

 jik