Gnome desktop icon change to not allow png?

I noticed that recently (in rawhide) several of my desktop icons got replaced
with generic images. There aren't many, but it looks like the problem might
be that they (the replaced ones) are png images. gif icons still seem to work.
Is this an intentional change in Gnome? Is there something I am missing?