Re: blank desktop after fresh install

Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 02/15/2008 03:08 AM:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Andrew Farris wrote:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Jim Cornette wrote:

<SNIP>
p.s.  this is installing f9a x86_64 on an AMD-equipped gateway laptop,
if that's relevant.
Did you try this with a normal user yet or just guest?  Several
people have mentioned they had to just 'useradd' from a terminal.
I don't have guest even shown on my machines now and not sure what
changed; the guest login never succeeded anyway.

i just tried guest, so i popped back to a VC, created another account,
and tried to start another graphical login but i can't get rid of the
current blank desktop.  heck, i even tried init 3 and init 1 but, when
i came back to runlevel 5, still that "blank" desktop sitting at VC 7.
so i'm rebooting and ...

... ok, there we go, log in as new user, get a couple whiny dialogs
about pulseaudio and i'm in.

that logging in as "guest" is definitely problematic.  once i tried
that, it seems i was stuck with it until a full reboot and logging in
under the new account.  not good.

rday

ClueX4 request:
When did fedora get a "guest" account?
Or am I misunderstanding this "guest" to be a default installed user like the terrible security hole MS windows has?

--
Todd Denniston