Re: error starting GNOME Settings Daemon, Volume Control quit

Chuck Anderson wrote:
Today when I booted up, I got this error logging in:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background
settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Failed to execute program /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-
daemon/gnome-settings-daemon: Success

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next
time you log in.

Also, the mixer applet Volume Control crashed:

"Volume Control" has quit unexpectedly

If you reload a panel object, it will
automatically be added back to the panel.

I can start "/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon" manually, and my settings come back. However, restarting /usr/libexec/mixer_applet2 just causes it to crash again immediately.

Have you updated gstreamer today? The volume control is supposed to be fixed in gstreamer packages just built. The gnome-settings-daemon I don't think is fixed yet, its happening to me as well. There is a new package available but it has dependency issues, control-center and gnome-applets do not let libxklavier update which the new gnome-settings-daemon is built against.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net