Re: KDE 4 live image for i686

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler <at> chello.at> writes:
I tested the live CD on my primary computer (Pentium 4, Radeon 9200SE). What

Some more testing:

* I tried out the KWin desktop effects:
- the good news: The effects work nicely on this hardware (r200_dri).
- the bad news: Some effect changes crash KWin (SIGSEGV). Once it restarts automatically, the changed effects are applied just fine, but it shouldn't segfault in the first place. A change as simple as disabling desktop effects crashes it (whereas enabling them doesn't). Changes in the widget style effects crashed it too, so I wonder if it's the "updating system configuration" stuff which crashes it.

* For some reason, the restart and logout options in the menu didn't work. (They just did nothing. No clue as to what the actual problem was.) I had to Ctrl+Alt+Bksp and then use the restart option in KDM to be able to reboot into my regular Fedora 8 installation.

        Kevin Kofler

I attempted to do the install to hard disk and failed.  I was trying to install it on a USB attached drive and got the following error each time I tried:

"An error occurred trying to format sdb1.  This is a serious problem, and install cannot continue."

The drive was previously partitioned using gparted and sdb1 is a 100MB partition.  I noticed that as the error was being reported that a "recently plugged devices" window popped up, so I assume that the USB connection is getting lost when attempting to format it via anaconda.

KDE 4 is pretty cool and works well on a dell inspiron 9400 with intel wireless, dell bluetooth and ati mobility x1400.  Both wireless and wired networks connections work perfectly, correct 1920x1200 resolution.

Emmett