Re: Getting Rawhide

Will Woods said the following on 01/24/2008 09:02 AM Pacific Time:
On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 07:05 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
Could someone post an exact cookbook for installing rawhide
on an x86_64 machine?

I tried diskboot with several URLs but it always failed not being able
to access one or more files.

I tried loading FC8 and, setting the repository to development,
and then upgrading but this results in many conflicts with fc8
versions as well as missing dependencies.

What is the correct procedure, exactly?
Basically, three options at the moment:
1) network install from boot.iso
2) network install from rescue image
3) update from an F8 install

One of the easier ways - if you have Fedora already running on the
machine - is to use SNAKE. This is the method I use for most of my
install testing. In the simplest case, it goes like this:

0. su -, yum install snake
1. snake-install [rawhide tree url]
2. reboot

snake-install will pull down the kernel and initrd and modify the
bootloader. When you reboot, it will boot into stage 1 of the installer,
defaulting to dhcp networking, en_US language/keymap, then automatically
pull down the rest of the installer and anaconda should start.

If the install fails.. I grab a Live image and reinstall F8.

Or better yet, use virtualization and it takes a fraction of the time to recover.

1) create a known good install of F8 or F7
2) create a snapshot of it or clone it
3) attempt rawhide install
4) if the install fails revert to "known good snapshot"