Re: Latest rawhide update killed xorg nv driver

Robert McBroom (TNWestTex) wrote:
gjohnson5 wrote:

My laptop had the same issue.  If you are using the official NVIDIA drivers
then the X server may not work.  I had to switch to the NV driver (which is
provided by Fedora) and that corrected the problem.  I will try to
re-install the official NVIDIA drivers
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_169.07.html [1]

If I have read correctly that the official NVIDIA drivers do work now

The official NVIDIA drivers don't work for me. Legacy 71.86.01 driver installer doesn't find the source on Fedora F9. Riva TNT2 card. kernel-2.6.24-0.150.rc7 Is the funky designation for the release candidate kernel the problem? I see there is a December update on NVIDIA for the newer cards but September with F8 is the latest for the legacy cards.

Pardon the obvious question, but do you have kernel-devel installed? The nvidia driver should be finding what it needs at:
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/

which is symlinked to /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`-`uname -m`

Look and see if you've actually got these files in place. For your kernel uname -r should be giving '2.6.24-0.150.rc7' so the rc naming should not cause a problem.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> <ajfarris@xxxxxxxxx>