Re: Booting problem with latest rawhide

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Farris" <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases" <fedora-test-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 4:01 AM
Subject: Re: Booting problem with latest rawhide

Jim Bevier wrote:
It is hard for me to believe no one else is having this problem.  Lots
of updates and new kernels have been installed and still the problem
exists. Is there some service that is not being executed at startup?
Did I forget to remove or add a service when updating from F8 to
Rawhide?  I sure would like to help find this problem if someone could
point me in the right direction.  I guess the first thing to figure out
is why root is not mounted r/w on bootup.

Have you tried booting from the cd and fsck the root partition? During the boot
process the root partition will get mounted readonly, then unmounted and
remounted r/w. It may be its failing to do that for a specific reason due to
the filesystem.

All of the file systems get checked and are clean. I can also boot f8 from another partition and read/write the rawhide partition fine. After the file system check, there is a message "Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:" and that is followed by "mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda8 is already mounted on /". So should mtab be empty on boot? It seems that the mtab entry is stopping the root filesystem from being mounted rw. Does someone have any insight into how this works?

BTW, its not an external western digital usb2/firewire drive by chance?

The drive is a 200 GB Maxtor PATA drive.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> <ajfarris@xxxxxxxxx>
  gpg 0xC99B1DF3 at pgp.mit.edu

No one now has, and no one will ever again get, the big picture. - Daniel Geer ---- ----