Re: Differences between RHEL and Fedora 8?

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, John Summerfield wrote:

To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
    <fedora-test-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Differences between RHEL and Fedora 8?

Keith Roberts wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

To: Keith Roberts <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
    For testers of Fedora Core development releases
    <fedora-test-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Keith Roberts wrote:

So are you saying that the Fedora release is the testing ground for RHEL, by approx 1 year ahead of the RHEL releases?

Fedora is upstream for RHEL (ie) RHEL is a derivative distribution of Fedora and every third release of Fedora or so is the basis of the subsequent RHEL release too. The exact time period varies. Fedora releases are 6 months apart and RHEL releases are 12 to 18 months apart from each other.

So if I learn Fedora Linux administration, would that cover me for passing RHCE exams?

Not really, no. You probably want RHEL or a rebuild of it.

Rahul

Thankyou for that Rahul. Can I download RHEL and use that on my own machine at home without having to pay for a license?

No. Well, maybe.*

You can download the source from ftp.redhat.com and build it yourself.

You can download the binaries created by others from the RHEL source and use it on any machine at all without a licence from RH. Centos.org is a good place for the latter.

There is also Scienfific Linux which, like CentOS, is built from RHEL source, but which has additional packages of value to the scientfic community.

Will either cover you from RHEL exams. I don't know.

*I've not checked recently, there may be an evaluation licence available. Check at www.redhat.com

Thanks for that John. I'm just interested about passing the RHCE exams. Something I'm toying with to consider doing some time later.

Kind Regards

Keith Roberts

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net