Re: Smolt Wiki

David L wrote:
On 10/23/07, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Smolt now has an integrated wiki (http://smolts.org/wiki/) and ratings
system.  Submit your profile with smoltSendProfile then follow the URL
it provides.  This will allow you to rate your hardware and click over
to the wiki for your hardware.

This is a great idea!

  If you have hardware with issues and can
fix it, please fill in the relevant wiki page.

The options for hardware issues are:
I don't use this/I don't know
Breaks System
Doesn't Work
Requires 3rd Party Drivers
Works, but required aditional configuration
Worked out of the box

What if my video card works, but compiz isn't happy with it with our without
the 3rd party driver?
I'd say for you, put down 3rd party drivers then. We can look into how many people have your card and rate it with the new driver or the old one. And if the drivers have actual different names we can query that as well.
What if my webcam works with a 3rd party driver but freezes intermittently.
"doesn't work"
What if my webcam works but has poor quality?
If you can configure it to work better then "Additional configuration required" if not then I'd say "doesn't work" even if it sort of works.

There was actually a lot of discussion about how to ask for that stuff. Keeping the options simple seemed to be the best option as going beyond it we could easily make 20-30 icons. And since its stored individually we can look and say "90% say this works out of the box 10% say it needs 3rd party drivers". The real cool parts come with the wiki. If you have a card that doesn't just work, take the time to create a wiki page for it. We'll have a scanner out soon so other people with your card can see "Oh, this piece of hardware has errate for it at smolts.org" and can then go get the details for themselves about exactly whats wrong with it or how to fix it, see bugzilla, etc.

   -Mike