Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:45 AM
Subject: Re: not finding rpmbuild

On 10/23/07, Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 06:24:26PM -0400, Andrew Parker wrote:

> > rpmbuild is not there.
>
> yum install rpm-build
>
> nice bit of inconsistency there

What is inconsistent?  That the package is named different than one
of the executables in it?

yes

 rpm-build is just a subpackage of rpm
and thus has a dash in it.  Most commands are not owned by a package
with the same name.

oh indeed, i'm aware that there are good reasons why its different,
and i am certainly not advocating changing it.  Its just that i'm sure
that its not just Scott Berry and myself that stumbled or slapped
their foreheads because of it.

Most commands are not owned by a package with the same name.

True, but in those cases the package name is a collective name and/or
there is a binary of the same name.  You have to admit that it is
unusual to have the RPM package name to be the same as the binary with
a hyphen added to it.  On my system, there are only two such packages
(vnc-server being the other), so its not the norm:

for P in $(rpm -qa --queryformat "%{name}\n" | grep [-]); do PD=$(echo
$P | tr -d "-"); rpm -ql $P | grep /bin/$PD\$ > /dev/null && echo $P;
done

You can also do "yum install /usr/bin/rpmbuild", if you like.

You can, but it wasn't that long ago that rpmbuild was taken out of
"rpm -b" and my first thought when I couldn't find it was "what is it
called now?"