Re: F8t3 - Minimal services to run?

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Harald Hoyer wrote:

Keith Roberts wrote:

       total        used   free   shared   buffers   cached
Mem:     489          67    422        0         3       24
-/+ buffers/cache     39    450
Swap: 1066             0   1066

Are there any other services that I need for a basic system please, such as logging?

I thought I'd try booting a very minimal system, then add services as needed, rather than working from the other perspective of disabling services I might not need.

Kind Regards

Keith Roberts

You may want:

# iptables
# network
# irqbalance
# rsyslog
# auditd
# cpuspeed
# messagebus
# rpcbind
# rpcidmapd
# nscd
# sshd
# ConsoleKit
# crond
# atd
# avahi-daemon
# cups
# haldaemon
# anacron

This I would like to have more explained. For want purpose you should run
irqbalance on system with minimum devices, auditd on system without selinux (which I recommend to switch off on system with slow cpu and low memory). Why cpuspeed on cpu that does not have any of frequency switching. I'm also in doubt about rpc* and nscd to be really necesary on browsing machine. Avahi is needed only for file sharing services, so this is also not essential to run Fedora.

Adam Pribyl