Re: Why can't we log into GUI as root any more?

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Arch Willingham <arch <at> tuparks.com> writes:
I realize its not good to do on a live system, but why can't we log into the
GUI of FC8 as root anymore?

It's funny because the default in KDM changed the other way in F7 (AllowRootLogin=false was dropped).

See fedora-desktop list for the discussions where it was said it was changed to match GDM. Both can now disabled and be consistent.

I think it makes no sense not to allow it. It doesn't give you any security (because it's trivial to log in as root in text mode, edit the config file and then go back to graphical), just annoyance if you do need a graphical root session for whatever reason.

There is no reason to do so really.

Rahul