Re: Sound not accessible to non root users anymore

Tomas Mraz wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 11:44 +0000, Boyan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Recently after upgrade in rawhide (2-3 days ago) I'm not able to use
>> correctly any program using sound. The reason is that the ownership and
>>   mode for /dev files are not like before. I think before they was like
>> this:
>>
>> crw------- 1 MY_USER root
>>
>> Now they are:
>>
>> crw-rw---- 1 root root
>>
>> Excluding /dev/dsp which now is:
>> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root
>>
>> but everything now uses alsa and the files in /dev/snd/* can not be
>> opened by users.
>>
>> Anybody know what changed and how to reconfigure it back?
> HAL daemon must be running.
>
> The access is now granted by HAL daemon setting ACLs on the device
> nodes. 'getfacl /dev/snd/controlC0' should show whether they are
> properly assigned.

Ok, it seems now that ACL's are required for working sound.
It's a bit strange for me. My kernel is not fedora's kernel, and I
think I'm not the only one who don't use ACL's and hald.

root@b:~# /etc/init.d/haldaemon restart
Stopping HAL daemon:                                       [FAILED]
and after 1-2min:
Starting HAL daemon:                                       [FAILED]

root@b:~# setfacl -m u:b:rw /dev/snd/*
setfacl: /dev/snd/controlC0: Operation not supported
setfacl: /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c: Operation not supported
setfacl: /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p: Operation not supported
setfacl: /dev/snd/pcmC0D1c: Operation not supported
setfacl: /dev/snd/pcmC0D2c: Operation not supported
setfacl: /dev/snd/pcmC0D3c: Operation not supported
setfacl: /dev/snd/pcmC0D4p: Operation not supported
setfacl: /dev/snd/seq: Operation not supported
setfacl: /dev/snd/timer: Operation not supported

Anything more conventional excluding doing chown every time?
I'm the only one using this computer. I'm wondering what was the
problem with the old and working way...