Re: esound, removal removes 478 packages !

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 15:49 -0700, stan wrote:
Will the new version of Fedora be using esound exclusively?

No, it will use PulseAudio.

What about if I want fine control of the hardware? How is that done using esound?

It's not. You use ALSA for that.

But when I try to do that, I get a message saying the device is busy. This is because esound is using it. And because esound is using it via /dev/dsp, the OSS emulation layer, it has exclusive control of sound. Will pulse audio be better?
Should I open a bugzilla against esound because it won't let me use alsa calls to restrict the sound card to hardware supported rates, or is that futile given the huge dependencies on esound?

It is possible to change the config of the OSS emulation devices using
asoundrc.
I want to do what is possible on F7. Call alsa and get the information for the default device. Then programatically build a new call string and call alsa with that string to open a device. Once the device is open I want to use alsa calls to restrict the frame rate to hardware supported rates. Will this be possible under pulse audio?
Is there a fork from alsa occurring?

Uh, no.

Is OSS being revived?

What?! Now you're just talking crazy...

Glad to hear it.
I am just seeing that there are 478 packages depending on a daemon that still is using OSS type terminology. i.e. /dev/dsp /dev/dsp2 instead of plughw or default or ...etc.

I'll upgrade from esound/esd to pulseaudio and try again.

Thank you for answering my questions and putting up with my ignorance about this.