Re: The return of rawhide live images

Jesse Keating said the following on 07/27/2007 01:43 PM Pacific Time:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:38:21 -0700
John Poelstra <poelstra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dead On Arrival

1) Boot i386 gnome on Dell 400SC
2) Get grub screen
3) Select boot from image
4) initrd loads
5) "Ready" message
5) machine reboots itself

Hurray.  Another Dell that can duplicate this.  It's like Fedora 7 all
over again.  This hits boot.iso booting as well from the installable
trees, but only seems to hit Dell users.

It *is* like F7 all over again.  I guess you can say it isn't a "regression" ;-)

After handing out a bunch of F7 Live CDs yesterday at OSCON I thought I'd run it at home and compare to Ubuntu 7.04.  Much to my shame I found that F7 doesn't boot.  The same F7 Live CD kernel panics on my IBM T41 Thinkpad too.

I'm wondering now how many of the people I encouraged to "give linux a try" will simply throw the disk in the trash and move on.  I realize there is a note in the CD sleeve to check the website for known problems, but would good is a trial live CD that you can't even get it to boot? ... a major manufacturer (Dell) at that.  I don't think most people are going to go to the website to look if the CD doesn't even boot.  I wouldn't.

Next time we create a bunch of CDs and DVDs for the handing out I seriously think we need to reconsider not simply going with whatever was GA.

John