Re: Windows displayed incorrectly? (no functional compiz window manager)

Knute Johnson wrote:
David Nielsen wrote:
søn, 13 05 2007 kl. 13:52 -0700, skrev Knute Johnson:
I've been playing with F7 and have managed to mess up my desktop somehow. Any windows that I open have no title bar and are in the upper left corner of the screen over the toolbar. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it. I've reloaded gdm, I've tried resetting display sizes, and I removed and replaced the toolbar. If I start the computer as root it works fine, it is just my user that is messed up. If I use kde or xfce the problem is the same. Any ideas what I've messed up?
I'm seeing the same thing with Compiz enabled curently, it's odd since
for the most part Compiz has behaved really well all during the F7
cycle. Do we have a bug on this?

- David

The symptom sounds like the window manager is not functional. You might try metacity --replace and file a bug regarding compiz malfunctioning.

Jim

Jim:

Thanks for the response. I tried metacity --replace and when I press <ENTER> the window headers immediately appear. metacity does nothing for a few minutes and then prints;

[root@localhost knute]# metacity --replace
Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2600007 specified for 0x2600023 (Input). Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2600007 specified for 0x2600023 (Input). Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2600007 specified for 0x2600023 (Input). Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2600007 specified for 0x2600023 (Input).

and then nothing. It does not return to the prompt. If I kill metacity the window headers immediately disappear.

Anything else I can try?  Why would it work fine for root but not me?

Thanks,

I guess 'metacity --replace &' would free up the terminal window.

If you wanted to permanently change the window manager, 'gnome-session-properties &' has the save the current session option under session options.

The last time that I needed to deal with a defunct window manager, I ran these commands as the current GUI user from a gnome-terminal. (All lapped over in the upper left corner before starting the window manager) You should be able to launch a terminal from applications/System tools/terminal from the menu.

Jim