Re: sd, sd, who's got the sd

Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

The question becomes, can I predict what will happen when I
install an IDE primary slave.
CentOS 5Beta with the old drivers will detect it as HDB.

How will the two FC7 systems detect the new drive?

Is there a method to the madness?

This is why we use disk labels or UUIDs instead of device names. With changes like this in the kernel and especially with machines with removable drives, or machines using fancy multipath storage, it's nearly impossible to reliably predict exactly what order the drives will be found in.

So the solution is: just give the partitions names instead. Then it doesn't matter if your FC6 root drive is sda1 or sdb1 or hdc1, it's always LABEL=fc6_root. If you say "mount LABEL=fc6_root /fc6" it will Do The Right Thing.

So, in short, it doesn't matter how the two FC7 systems will detect the new drive, so long as you give it a useful label.

-w