Re: pretty emacs

Leo wrote:
----- Marc Schwartz (2007-04-25) wrote:-----

I'd also support enable gtk by default.

XFT is not supported in Emacs 22 AFAIK.
It is, but it's better in 23 where it has been merged into the main
Unicode trunk.

I didn't know that.

But have you seen this bug when using XFT font:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/18219

It happens with Emacs 23 which makes it rather painful to use.

I don't use w3m so I cannot attest to the problem, however there was a post on the gnu.emacs.help group just today which pointed out this page on the emacs wiki, which you might find helpful:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/w3m

I use Bitstream fonts for everything (Vera Sans Mono for the default), so it is possible that I would not see the issues raised with some of the fonts used in the post you referred to.

I use 23 with ECB, PSVN and ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics) for R (http://www.r-project.org/) and it has been rock solid for me. About the only thing that I had to do somewhat differently is to use the updated pre-release CEDET tools and the ECB snap-shot release for 23.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz