gnome-panel hang

During the updates on 4/18/07, when I logged back into Gnome, the gnome-panel hangs. The "Updates" balloon appears at the top far left, instead of on the updater icon on the top right. I had added hwsensors on the top toolbar, and these weren't appearing (using acpi and lmsensors). The toolbar was completely unresponsive. Icons on the desktop would open, but many programs would hang on start (gnome-terminal) and a blank popup would appear.

I was unable to confirm which applet was hanging the panel. I ended up fixing the problem my removing .gnome, .gnome2, and .gconf (probably overkill).

Andrew B