Re: yum enhancement request - save bandwidth

On 2/1/07, Jerry Williams <jwilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Most of the time I already have a mirror of the updates.
And it seems like a waste of bandwidth to download things again.

Would it be possible to add a line to yum to say look here first.
And "here" could be either another directory that might be nfs mounted or a
web site.  If you find the package then use the local copy if not then go
and pull it down from whatever site.

Edit the file and change the location of the repository.  My
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo has the line:

baseurl=file:///scratch/pub/fedora/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

To use the local mirror of updates.

I am only talking about packages, not headers.

Or if I am just doing a yum install and have a CD/DVD with the package on it
and it would be nice to again get it local if possible.  Maybe even list
multiple local places.  Like is it on a CD/DVD in the drive?  Nope is it on
a local web site nope,  then get it off the web.

Someone is working on getting pup (and yum) to work from the CD/DVD.
It is easy to copy the contents of the CD/DVD to the hard disk and
make a local repository.  There probably should be a helper command
for doing making a local copy.

I do want it to go to the web and find out what the current version is and
if I have it great, it not go get it.

If this is already done, please point me at the docs so that I can use it.

It is a relatively easy.  It is possible to have multiple baseurl for
a repository. I think it will fallback to later ones if one does have
the file. You could have a partial mirror setup on a local web server.
Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to mix baseurl and
mirrorlist

It is also pretty easy to setup a local proxy server that cache
downloaded packages.

- Ian