Re: patches for pata disks on sata promise controller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Jones" <davej@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "James C. Bevier" <jbevier@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <fedora-test-list@xxxxxxxxxx>; <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 5:18 PM
Subject: Re: patches for pata disks on sata promise controller

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 03:59:14PM -0700, James C. Bevier wrote:
> Since the 2.4 kernel, I have had to patch sata_promise.c and libata.c to
> recognize pata disks.  When the kernel was updated to 2.6.19, all of the
> patches were discarded.

The 2.6.19 rebase is incomplete. This is why it isn't in updates-testing yet.
Pretty much all the stuff that had conflicts get commented out for the
time being.

> Why were these patches not integrated upstream
> over the last two years?

I'll leave Jeff to answer that one.  I know I'm tired of carrying it too.

> Now the code has been redesigned by someone
> (Jeff?) and the patches invalidated.  Here is a first pass at the
> patches for the 2.6.19 and beyond kernels.  Dave, could you review the
> patch and incorporate them into the next kernel rev?  They seem to work
> for me, but they needed to be tested with a system that has sata disks
> to make sure I did not screw them up.  Here is the patch and the diffs
> for the spec file.

Jeff, care to eyeball this?
(Same diff James sent, but with some indentation fixes)

Thanks,

Dave

old patch deleted.................

Dave,

Here is a revised patch for using pata drives on the sata_promise 2037x controller. I took out some of the patch that was not getting executed. This patch was tested with the 2909 kernel. I re-enabled the patch2200 code in the spec file to use this new patch. I sure would like to see this in the next release of the kernel so it can be widely tested. This is a replacement for the pre 2.6.19 patch that no longer works. It has been two years for the sata_promise patch, so you would think it should be main stream by now.

Jim