Re: Re: [OT] kvm kernel module in fc6?

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 23:21:32 +0000  Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
The kvm package from extras-development is a new addition and will require
 the coresponding kernel from rawhide, to get the neccessary kernel mods.

thanks Daniel

[snip]

In FC-6, Xen  HVM guests will happily use VT extensions and will be much
faster than KVM currently is, not to mention more stable (well for some
guest OS at least).

Actually, taking Jeremy's src.rpm and the relative spec file I had only to:
- adapt spec file for kvm-10 that was released,
- change the configure line eliminating the "--with-patched-kernel"
part (as said in kvm docs)
- add in %files section the 3 kernel modules to be built
- build the rpm
- install it against my standard 2869 based fc6.

And in less that one hour I was able to have a qemu/kvm wxp sp2
virtual machine running very smoothly being able to connect
transparently to the internet like my physical one:
- seconds to create a 9Gb disk
- 5 minutes for the first part of installation/disk partition (from hd
iso image)
- 9 minutes for the second part with all typical parameters no customizations
- 20 minutes to apply sp2 ita (from hd iso)

Instead with  Xen on fc6 I was only able to get a black screen after
the first part with no way to proceed, after may attempts and read...
I tried all the apic/acpi combinations in configuration file without
success; I read xen related ml on rh but no way. Last time was about
beginning of december.
Based on your comments I will give another deep shot to xen to see if
anything changed with latest kernels and xen packages released for
fc6, that I have updated.

Gianluca