Re: renaming /dev/hda to ./dev/sda

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
Well, "we" I suppose is the kernel folks; this isn't exactly a Fedora
decision and it isn't really new.

It's new for users - people who don't build their own kernels (assuming
they're using PATA disks).

libata uses at least the upper layers of the SCSI subsystem, so the
drives show up as SCSI devices: "sd".  Not much different from the USB
storage system.

Of course naming it sd because it "uses at least the upper layers of the
SCSI subsystem" is something that could only make sense to a kernel
hacker ...

I guess you could think of "sd" an acronym for
Storage Device or something.

I think that is actually a reasonable name.  Can we make it official?
--
	--Per Bothner