Re: Wow! Lots of kernel flaws...

Arjan van de Ven writes:

True. But one of them, the ext3, looked more serious. OK, I'll hold off on the bugzilla.

I know the kernel developers are working on some of these (and they're
widely published) but the priority is ... well relatively minor.
Think of it this way: to mount a filesystem you need to be root, or your
desktop environment must trust you enough that you have local access to
the machine; if your aim is to crash the machine you have access to...
you can also unplug the power cord :)

(but this is a very good argument to make sure our desktop environments
don't mount "external" filesystems such as cds and usb sticks
automatically; especially if the filesystem isn't one native for the
device; eg iso9660 for the cd and vfat for the usb stick)

Wonderful. Now that we've made leaps and bounds in terms of desktop usability on a typical personal desktop, we have to rewind the clock and go back to the clumsy ways of years gone by.