Re: [OT] bus speed for ata dvd-rw drive

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:36:00 -0400 Alan Cox wrote:

For some reason your BIOS appears to have decided the DVD should be in PIO
mode and we respect that. Make sure the JMB36x boot rom is enabled and if
its in the main BIOS that IDE bus mastering is BIOS selected.

Failing that let me know what hdparm -d1 /dev/hde does

Under BIOS setup I have only:
- IDE configuration
where I can only set
SATA configuration [compatible/enhanced/disabled] set to Enhanced but
I think it doesn' influence DVD
Hard disk write protect
IDE detect timeout (set to 35 that is the maximum value, don't know unit)

where I have
JMicron SATA/PATA Controller [enabled/disabled] set obviously to enabled
JMicron Controller Mode [RAID/BASIC/AHCI] set to AHCI that was the
only one with which I could install fc6, otherwise I get no DVD found
after startup...

It seems I have no control over bios rom of JMicron. I see during boot
that the firmware release is 1.06.53 but I don't know if its upgrade
is part of asus bios update.
I have latest bios available from asus installed.
No other options.
hdparm -d1 /dev/hde gives

/dev/hde:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
using_dma    =  1 (on)

In k3b when I open the burn window, it seems it detect maximum of 2X
speed (I see only Auto, 1x, 2x options where I can select speed). When
it starts it says that it will begin at 8x and then actually during
the burning now it goes at 4x (5.5 MB/s).
Apparently with latest kernel 2798 it seems that speed is about 4x
instead of previous 2.6X. I also in the mean time changed the original
80 pin cable (provided with mb) with a 40 pin one. I don't know if
this could influence.
Gianluca