Re: rhgb freezing computer

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Dave Jones (davej@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
Somewhat dated now, but here's the log from FC5-ish system from
the point of clicking 'shutdown' on the gnome menu..

http://people.redhat.com/davej/filemon/09-shutdown

My personal belief is that the initscripts need a way to distinguish
between 'service foo stop' and 'system is shutting down'.
It should be perfectly fine to shut down the majority of services
uncleanly.
killing dhclient, disabling iptables, ifdown'ing interfaces etc
all strikes me as a glorious waste of time.

I prototyped this once a few years (ugh) ago - the simple solution
cut shutdown time in half. It's just a matter of how cleanly we
want to implement it.

"How cleanly we want to implement unclean shutdown?" Maybe I'm just tired but I find that rather hilarious :)

	- Panu -