Re: Kernel 2.6.18?

On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:28, Steven Haigh wrote:

Quoting Jarod Wilson <jwilson@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Aug 28, 2006, at 11:09, Steven Haigh wrote:
Quoting Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
"SH" == Steven Haigh <netwiz@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

SH> Are you sure on this? I'm still seeing 2.6.17-1.2583.fc6 as the
SH> latest kernel on rawhide.

Which is a prerelease 2.6.18 kernel.  It can't be called 2.6.18
because that kernel doesn't exist yet.  See the changelog:

* Sun Aug 20 2006 Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx>

- 2.6.18rc4-git1

Hmmm - I must say I wasn't aware of this... If that the case, I wonder if it's possible to get gregkh's full patch put into the Fedora kernel.... would certainly make my life much easier :P

Looks like Linus is back from vacation (or at least popping in), as
2.6.18-rc5 hit kernel.org on Sunday. That ought to contain everything
gregkh was keeping in his tree, and we ought to have a new rawhide
kernel based on -rc5 relatively soon...

Doesn't look like (for whatever reason) 2.6.18-rc5 had his patches in it

Looks like we actually switched back to tracking the rc patches instead of gregkh patches back there on the 20th... Tracking gregkh was only temporary, while Linus was away.

as there's still the updated USB core stuff as well as i2c/PCI fixes that haven't been migrated into the kernel yet at:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/ gregkh-all-2.6.18-rc5.patch

It's about a 1.1Mb patch, mainly geared towards fixing a number of USB issues as well as a few more drivers (including the adutux drive that I require).

We try to stick to as close to upstream as possible, so once those are in Linus' tree, we'll pull them into rawhide, but typically not before.

Almost there with a 2.6.18-rc5-git1-based kernel though...

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@xxxxxxxxxx