Re: Installer FC6T2 hangs after starting X, uses 99% of CPU.

John Muir wrote:

Hi,

Using FC6T2, motherboard is nForce4, with an Athlon64, PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra video card. There are no problems probing things; all of the right modules are loaded (sata_nv and the USB driver).

The system works fine with all other distributions, including FC3 which I am running now, but I haven't been able install FC5 or FC6. After X starts, there is a black screen, and the mouse pointer is working.

When I go into the shell to try to diagnose, I see anaconda using 99% of the CPU.

Is there any debugging that I can turn on?
Is there a debug ISO of some kind where I can debug anaconda?
There are already several similar bugs in bugzilla, but none which are identical. Should I open a new bug, or try to get more information first?

John.

I had something very similar on Asus A8V (Via chipset) with x86-64 FC6T2.
After X starts, and strarting install, I see "searching for installation" (or something like that) and then a blank screen with a mouse pointer and nothing happens.
Interrupted it finally with Control Alt Backspace.

If I use an LCD monitor, the graphical install is unusable, and the text install crashes with a screen full of starnge characters.
With a CRT IK get the above.

Suse 10.1 installs with some caveats.