Re: yum update blocked for now

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Tuesday 08 August 2006 07:19, David D. Hagood wrote:

It seems to me that continually having to direct people to a script to
bludgeon YUM into updating the system, rather than either fixing YUM,
fixing the procedures that allow the repos to break, or moving to a tool
(like APT) that deals with broken repositories is like saying "yes, the
door locks don't work - here's a coat hanger."

Its rawhide dude. Things are in a constant state of flux and we don't impose any barriers from the developer to get new packages out. Once FC6 is released, updates to FC6 will be handled in a way that prevents the updates repo from having broken deps (most of the time *wink*). Rawhide is well raw, deps will break, and if you're brave enough to play with it, you are expected to spend a little effort to plow through it. And if it breaks, you get to keep all the pieces.

Yum still should be able to break into a mode where it would install the packages that can safely be installed, instead of just dying with a complaint. Since yum is the base for pup and pirut, the features would increase the ease of there use.

I tried apt before and it is not the answer. Improving yum functionality seems a better solution.

Regarding rawhide, I expect some dep problems. I would rather have a better program upgrader and installer though to trek the wagon trails.

Jim

--
Today is a good day to bribe a high-ranking public official.