Re: restorecond won't die

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Chambers" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases" <fedora-test-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 8:29 PM
Subject: Re: restorecond won't die

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 21:49 -0500, Jay Cliburn wrote:
On logout of current rawhide, I notice restorecond fails to stop.  It
also fails to stop when issued the command 'service restorecond
restart'.  This is because the pid in /var/run/restorecond.pid is one
less than the actual pid, so the killproc() function
in /etc/init.d/functions can't find the pid to kill.

[root@osprey ~]# cat /var/run/restorecond.pid
2302
[root@osprey ~]# ps -ef | grep restorecond | grep -v grep
root      2303     1  0 21:35 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/restorecond

Hand editing /var/run/restorecond.pid to make the value match the
running pid results in a successful restart.

The end result of this problem is a new restorecond for every 'service
restorecond restart' invocation, since the 'stop' fails and the 'start'
succeeds.

I saw the same thing, as well as a few other services too.  Must be
something underlying more than that, that affects all of them.

I see the same thing with sendmail, sm-client, vsftpd, idmapd, acpi, automount, portmap, hidd, and restorcond. Still looking for common thread.

Jim

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Sex is like air, it's not important unless your not getting any!"