Re: Strangeness with recent FC5 update

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R (caf@xxxxxxxx) said:
Yesterday yum update installed a new kernel et al.
For some reason /etc/inittab was renamed to /etc/inittab.rpmsave.
rc.local got the same treatment.

I had to use a live Linux CD to repair the damage before
FC5 would boot properly.

Why would RPM mess with these files?  Any other files hosed
that I should worry about?

See bug 197906.

Bill

Just as another data point, over the weekend, I did a yum update of my rawhide box and some package renamed /etc/passwd and /etc/group files to .rpmsave and I was getting messages like "user root does not exist" and could not login at all. I used a rescue disk to get in and rename the files and was able to boot and login. If you would like more details, let me know. I suspected the setup rpm that part of the update.

Richard