Re: DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Tom Brinkman wrote:
On 08 11:59:S, Joel Rittvo wrote:
Joel Rittvo wrote:
Tom Brinkman wrote:
On 07 7:38:S, Rahul wrote:
Most users dont change any font defaults
  Wrong!

In Fedora, we try to be as close to
upstream sources as possible
   Which is why I switched from (years on) Mdv-cooker to
FC-test

and if those fixes were included in GNOME, they would
automatically benefit all downstream
distributions and users instead of tackling these kind of
issues redundantly in every distributions.
   Again you state Gnome centric mindset. More users use KDE.
This is not to start a vi/emacs type controversy, just
reality.

   Nevermind, I'll just keep runnin g-f-p after login to fix
Gnome apps under KDE.
Tom,

See if this applet, that installs into the KDE Control Center's
"Appearance and Themes" section, helps you any.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/gtk-qt

Joel
I just noticed that you can get it as an rpm from Extras also.

   OK, you talked me into it ;) 'yum install gtk-qt-engine'

BUT, as soon as I click on "GTK Styles and Fonts", kcontrol segfaults an disappears.

I am not running Rawhide or a test version right now, so there is probably some incompatibility just for the moment there. You might want to try it again in a few days or weeks. At least with the rpm, you can remove it easily if it causes problems.

It actually lets you use any KDE style. It has a "choice" to "use my KDE styles with GTK applications" or you can specify another style for it to use with GTK applications. There is also a choice for having it use your KDE fonts with GTK apps, or you can chose a different font. It is simply meant to be a way to get some settings automatically sent to GTK apps from within a KDE desktop. They can be similar settings or different settings as you choose. I do think it will solve 90% of your issues, but obviously it will need to run correctly first!